Originally Published January 29, 2011.
I decided to start joining Randy Seaver’s Saturday Night Genealogy Fun.
This week’s challenge is the Date You Were Born:
It’s Saturday Night – time for more Genealogy Fun!
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:
1) What day of the week were you born? Tell us how you found out.
2) What has happened in recorded history on your birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
3) What famous people have been born on your birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
4) Put your responses in your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.
1. I was born on a Friday. I found out from my Hospital birth certificate which includes the day of the week.
I found the following two answers by doing a google search for on this day which led me to the website for On This Day from the NY Times learning area. The link to my birthday (January 24th) is http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/20110124.html.
2. The following events happened:
|1848||James W. Marshall discovered a gold nugget at Sutter’s Mill in northern California, sparking the gold rush of ’49.|
|1908||The first Boy Scout troop was organized in England by Robert Baden-Powell.|
|1943||President Franklin D. Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill concluded a wartime conference in Casablanca, Morocco.|
|1989||Confessed serial killer Ted Bundy was put to death in Florida’s electric chair.|
|1995||The prosecution gave its opening statement in the O.J. Simpson murder trial.|
3. The following famous people had birthdays this year on my birthday:
Mary Lou Retton
Olympic gold-medal gymnast