Originally Published November 16, 2013.
I was born in 1969.
From the website: http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1969.html
1969 On July 20th one of mans crowning achievements occurred when American Astronaut Neil Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the Moon and uttered the immortal words “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” . The opposition to the war continued to increase with more and more attending anti war demonstrations and demanding that the US withdrew from Vietnam. The music came from groups including the Doors, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin and the Beatles and the most famous music festival of modern times “WOODSTOCK” took place on a New York Farm on August 15th to August 17th with more than 400,000 avid music fans attending to see the Who, Jimi Hendrix, Crosby Stills Nash and Young and others perform live. fashions reflected the anti war sentiment with military jackets adorned with peace signs, and other trends including long unkempt wild hair and headbands showed the feelings of anti establishment felt by the youth.
- First Concorde test flight is conducted In France
- First transplant of human eye
- Seiko sells the first Quartz Watch
- The Harrier Jump Jet enters service with the RAF
- The Palestine Liberation Organization ( PLO ) is founded
- The first automatic teller machine ATM or Cash Machine is installed in the United States
- Creation of ARPANET, the predecessor of the Internet
- The Boeing 747 jumbo jet makes its debut. It carried 191 people, most of them reporters and photographers, from Seattle to New York City.
- UNIX is developed by a group of AT&T employees at Bell Labs
- The Pontiac Firebird Trans Am the epitome of the American muscle car is introduced.
- The Microprocessor ( a miniature set of integrated circuits ) is invented opening the way for the computer revolution that followed
Popular Culture 1969
- A free concert organized by the Rolling Stones is held at Altamont Speedway in Livermore, Calif with problems caused by the use of Hells Angels as Bouncers resulting in a number of deaths
- The Groundbreaking TV programme Monty Python’s Flying Circus is shown for the first time and the catch phrase “And now for something completely different,” becomes their trade mark
- Sesame Street known for its Muppet characters, makes it’s debut on PBS
- Bell Bottom Jeans and tie-dye shirts become part of the teenage fashion scene.
- The John Lennon Album “Two Virgins” featuring John Lennon and Yoko Ono in the nude are confiscated at Newark Airport
- The Beatles’ last public performance, on the roof of Apple Records.
- The Beatles release their album Abbey Road.
- Sesame Street debuts on Public Television
- Brian Jones Former Rolling Stones Guitarist drowns after drinking and drugs binge
Cost of Living 1969
How Much things cost in 1969
Yearly Inflation Rate USA 5.46 %
Yearly Inflation Rate UK 5.6%
Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 800 Average Cost of new house $15,550.00 Average Income per year $8,550.00 Average Monthly Rent $135.00 Average Cost New Car $3,270.00 Toyota Corona $1,950.00 Gas per Gallon 35 cents Alarm Clock from Westclox $9.98
Prompt 12: The Year You Were Born
This week’s prompt is The year you were born
Or use any other historical (well known or otherwise) event.* * *
Members of GeneaBloggers and others are invited to either create a post at their blog or keep a written journal with their answers.
Also don’t forget to join The Book of Me, Written By You group at Facebook!
The Book of Me, Written by You is a real opportunity to explore your memories, thoughts, information from your life, things that you can remember, and perhaps the passing on of oral history. This is a chance to explore yourself and create a legacy for future generations. This is truly a road of self discovery and exploration. The prompts will be delivered each week from 31st August 2013 through until the end of December 2014 via Thomas at Geneabloggers and via the Anglers Rest blog. There is a Facebook group set up read for discussion. You can read all about the project and find out what it is all about and sign up to the Facebook page HERE